Testing and Assessment FAQs
What tests will my child be required to take?
All Wisconsin Virtual Academy (WIVA) students are required to take the following tests:
- Course lesson, unit, and semester assessments
- Wisconsin Department of Education achievement tests
- Criterion-referenced tests
- WIVA teacher assessments
Will my child have to participate in state testing?
Yes. As a public school in Wisconsin, we are required to proctor tests each year for our students in grades 3–11.
When a parent or guardian requests that their student be excused from participating in the Wisconsin State Assessments, this request must be honored at grades 4, 8, 9–11, per Wis. Stats. 118.30(2)(b)3. This request may come at any time during the testing window. All students excused by parent opt-out are marked as "not tested" students in school and district reporting determinations.
We ask that you consider the significance and impact of requesting an opt-out and take this into consideration as you determine whether to opt your child(ren) out of testing. Please note that testing our student population in its entirety allows us to most accurately gather the information necessary to create effective school improvement efforts. Currently, there are no ramifications to a student's grade or ability to reenroll in our schools for parents that exercise their right to opt their students out of state testing (currently Forward testing for grades 3–8, Aspire testing grades 9 and 10, ACT testing grade 11, or the alternative test for students eligible Dynamic Learning Maps grades 3–11).
What is the state testing schedule?
To keep you informed of the testing schedule:
- We'll send you an email explaining which assessments your child will participate in and outlining testing expectations for all grades. (See chart below.)
- A few months before the test date, you'll receive grade-specific assessment information, including locations, dates, and times. At this point, you'll be asked to confirm your testing date and time. Our testing database chooses the closest location to your home; however, you can choose any of the listed testing sites for your child.
- One week prior to the test dates, we'll send you a reminder email with any additional information you may need.
In addition, we'll post testing information via our website, monthly newsletters, and the WIVA Weekly.
Please call WIVA Testing Coordinator Katherine Siegmann at 608.838.9482, extension 1111 if you have any questions.