Online High School Curriculum
Wisconsin Virtual Academy uses the engaging, challenging curriculum from K12, which is based on decades of education research about how minds really work. The curriculum was designed to enable high school students to find their own paths to post-high school success.
A Robust Catalog of Courses for Diverse Learners
WIVA supports different learning styles and needs. Students at different skill levels can take advantage of more than 140 courses, including Credit Recovery, which is available in all core subjects. The range of options meet your student where he or she is—whether that's ahead of the game, struggling to keep up, or anywhere in between.
The K12 high school course catalog is robust, with choices that include core, elective, and Advanced Placement® (AP®) courses. K12 math, language arts, science, and history courses are offered in multiple versions to meet the needs of diverse learners with diverse goals. Up to four levels of world languages are offered as well. Students can chart their own course, choosing from among the four levels of courses to match their aptitude and goals.
Five Versions of Core Subjects
With the K12 high school curriculum, students can harness the power of individualized learning by choosing from the following four versions of Math, English, Science, and History courses:
- K12 Core courses are similar to the standard courses offered by many other programs. They meet all academic requirements for each course area both for graduation as well as for potential admission into a wide range of colleges.
- K12 Comprehensive courses are designed for students entering with a strong foundational knowledge and aptitude in the subject area being covered, as well as solid study skills.
- K12 Honors courses hold students to a greater degree of accountability, and demand even greater independence and self-discipline than their Comprehensive counterparts.
- K12 Advanced Placement (AP) courses are college-level courses that follow curriculum specified by the College Board. Like K12 Honors courses, AP courses require a greater degree of self-discipline for in-depth study of the subject.
- K12 Credit Recovery courses can help students get back on track for graduation if they have not passed a course for any reason, from scheduling to not quite mastering the material. These courses are specifically designed for credit recovery—the student is not just repeating the same course he or she previously took.
For the full list of K12 high school courses or to download the catalog, visit K12.com's online High School Courses section.
*The K12 high school catalog is a complete list of the high school courses that K12 provides. While WIVA offers a comprehensive selection of courses, not every K12 high school course is available to WIVA students. Information on specific courses of study and available electives are provided upon enrollment. For details, please speak to an Enrollment Consultant during the enrollment process.
Proven Pathways to a Chosen Career
At Wisconsin Virtual Academy, your college or career-minded student can choose from a broad range of profession-focused courses for a competitive edge for the future, to discover his or her path after high school, or to explore a possible college major. These courses can provide a powerful introduction to fulfilling careers in Fashion and Interior Design, Culinary Arts, Sports and Entertainment Marketing, Early Childhood Education, Veterinary Science, Information Technology, Finance, Arts and Communication, and more.
High school is a time to prepare for your future; your new beginning. At WIVA, we celebrate when students reach their goals—and earning a diploma is a big deal! Even though we’re an online school, we make sure to recognize this special milestone. Watch our video to see how we celebrated K12-powered 2020 graduates.